MasterCast 1-2-1 Clear Artwork Coating Resin is a two-component epoxy resin that produces an optically clear, high gloss finish and is particularly suited to resin art, it can be used on many surfaces such as canvas, wood, MDF, glass, perspex, concrete & metal. MasterCast 1-2-1 Clear Art Coating Resin has been ASTM certified non-hazardous and non-toxic, it utilises the most up to date UV inhibitors/blockers.
MasterCast is a two part epoxy resin with an easy 1:1 mix ratio by volume. The resin self levels to form a perfectly flat and shiny finish. Once cured, MasterCast provides a clear art coating resin that won’t shrink or distort over time. It can be applied by pouring or by brush/roller and cures at ambient temperature. It has excellent UV resistance, clarity and transparency making the resin system particularly suitable for the protection and decoration of: paintings, artwork, sculptures, badges, photos or just about any creative project. Please be advised although our resins are U.V stabilised this does not mean they are U.V proof. Ultimately all our clear epoxy resins will show signs of U.V degradation over time. We work constantly to improve the U.V protection however resins are plastics and over time the sun will always win that battle.
- Solvent and odour free
- Safe to use – ASTM certified
- High build formula
- Exceptional UV resistance
- Pack Sizes
MasterCast comes in 5 pack sizes so you can buy exactly the right amount for your project. To help you choose the correct kit please see the coverage guide below, then make your selection from the drop down list above. The exact coverage will depend on how thick you want your resin coating and the type of media you are covering.
MasterCast Pack Size Coverage at 0.5 mm thick
- 2 kg Kit = 2.86 m²
- 4 kg Kit = 5.72 m²
- 10 kg Kit = 14.30 m²
Please note this resin has a heat distortion temperature of 45-50°C which makes it unsuitable for the placement of very hot objects on its surface such as cups, mugs, plates etc. We recommend UltraCast xt for excellent temperature resistance.
Differences between MasterCast 1-2-1 and totalCAST
- Mixed viscosity: MasterCast 1-2-1 has a higher mixed viscosity and a thicker consistency
- Curing time: MasterCast 1-2-1 offers a longer working time and a slower cure (6-8hrs @ 20°C)
- MasterCast 1-2-1 is better suited to pigmenting in resin art applications.
- The mixing ratio must be accurately followed to achieve perfect results. It is not possible to change the ratio which would result in the resin not drying properly and lower mechanical properties.
- The mixed components should be thoroughly stirred for 3-4 minutes to ensure an even consistency. Epoxy systems tend to heat up faster in a pot than as a thin film, only mix the amount needed for use within the pot life of the product.
- The product can be applied by pouring from the mixing vessel, by brush or roller.
Health & Safety
Although our resins are formulated with the most modern and safest epoxy chemicals available, all epoxy resins are chemicals and should be managed and handled with proactive safety hygiene and responsible care.
- Always wear nitrile gloves (or use a specialist resin barrier cream)
- Wear a respirator when sanding partially cured resin
- It is advisable to work in a well ventilated room
- We advise the use of safety goggles
- Avoid skin contact (if resin gets on skin wash with plenty of soap & water)
- DO NOT eat, drink or smoke while working
- In case of eye contamination wash with plenty of water for 15 minutes and consult medical advice immediately
- Adding inks/paints/mica powder/glitter to epoxy resin will change its properties and may reduce its non-toxicity. If you use alcohol inks DO NOT use a flame to remove bubbles, as alcohol is flammable.